13 February 2008

No more short haul business class on Air NZ?

Yes I know most of you don't care, but there is evidence growing that Air NZ is looking to drop business class on its Boeing 767s and Airbus A320s in favour of premium economy. This presumably means a drop in food service and possible drop in food quality as well.
~
Why does it matter? Well some of us pay for business class occasionally for crossing the Tasman, it is more important between Auckland and Perth. Sometimes there is value in using airpoints upgrades as well (useful when flying in the evenings after a long day to get a decent meal and relaxing seat without sitting like cattle). Qantas business class is usually far more expensive (and not any better), and Emirates flights are not at convenient times.
~
I hope it is not true. It would go against the increase in legroom for some rows in the front of 737s on domestic flights, and the reintroduction of a (modest) complimentary food service on domestic 737 and A320 flights.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Scott

I regularly enjoy your well-reasoned and argued posts on your blog, but you must know you don't have a leg to stand on here.

If Air NZ believes they can maximise the return to their shareholders by canning business class on Trans-Tasman routes, you are free to choose not to fly on Air New Zealand. If other players in the market aren't providing services you would pay for, perhaps there is insufficient demand.

I realise your post was light-hearted Scott, but I just want to make sure I'm properly getting the hang of this liberty thing.

Cheers, Sean.

Libertyscott said...

Sean, I don't disagree at all. It is a business decision and I wouldn't for a moment want political intervention on this, but I am a Gold Elite frequent flyer, I flew Air NZ trans Tasman in Business Class in December and I want to be able to do so. I am simply a consumer expressing my opinion about a supplier.

As you might gather, this blog isn't just about politics!

cheers

(and btw I haven't forgotten your question about police reform, i want to do that question justice so I am not rushing to make a post)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Scott.