08 October 2009

Who is the thief?

Let's say the mafia strongarms money out of you and your business regularly, say it does so to "protect" you, but is not very good at it.

Let's say your much bigger neighbour finds ways to evade the mafia strongarming so much money out of his business, quite successfully.

Then is the fact the mafia got less money from your neighbour, because your neighbour hid its money in clever ways, means your neighbour has effectively stolen from you (because the mafia might have taken less had it had what it thought it should have got from your neighbour)?

Just a way of looking at this.

In rebuttal to this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had to read that about ten times and click on the links before I got the gist of what you were trying to say. I'm giving you a "could do better" for the tortured English and a "what an effing cop out" for failing to have anything to say about the shabby dealings of these businesses. Perhaps that is still to come though I wont hold my breath.

Libertyscott said...

Did it break any law other than evading tax? If you can point to fraud, theft or any other initiation of force, I'll agree.

My point is simple. Tax is legalised theft. Evading tax is protecting oneself from theft, it is not stealing from other victims of theft.