Given Gareth Morgan's affection for the country once described as "a place where George Orwell's 1984 was taken not as a warning, but as a textbook manual as to how to run a country", I thought I'd point out some of the biggest lies perpetuated by the regime in Pyongyang. The saddest thing about it, is that I doubt if most of the elite even know this.
These are lie the Kim gangster family have generated and it starts with:
- Korea was liberated from the Japanese imperialists by a group of loyal anti-Japanese patriots led by Marshal Kim Il Sung.
No, it was liberated by the United States, with the USSR having a tiny role at the very end. Kim Il Sung spent the last four years of WW2 in the USSR.
- Kim Il Sung founded the Korean People's Army when he was 21.
No, it was founded in 1948, which was acknowledged until he decided in the early 1960s to rewrite history.
- Kim Il Sung arrived in Pyongyang greeted by hundreds of thousands grateful he had liberated the country.
No, he was brought in by the Red Army and trained to be their stooge.
- The Korean War was started by the US imperialists.
No, Kim Il Sung got authorisation from Moscow and Peking to launch the attack. Soviet records prove that Stalin gave the approval.
- The Great Fatherland Liberation War (Korean War) was a great victory.
No it was a stalemate. The military demarcation line is roughly where it was when the war started, so nothing was gained, but millions were killed.
- Kim Jong Il was born on the sacred Mt Paektu where he saw his father and mother preparing as they fought the Japanese.
No, he was born near Khabarovsk in the USSR.
- South Korea is a country of abject poverty and despair.
You know the truth.
- South Korea is run as a colony by the US to use South Korean as slave labour
South Korea has long been independently minded, and has been a fairly robust liberal democracy since 1988
- Most of the world is wracked with crime, corruption, poverty and slavery, the people of Korea have nothing to envy
- The reason the DPRK has economic problems is because of the blockade by the US imperialists.
The reason is because it is the most centrally planned Stalinist state left on the planet, with market signals having little influence compared to the whims of the gangster family running it.
- Kim Il Sung is renowned worldwide as a genius and great man, who fought hard for the right of countries to be independent and people to be liberated. Millions around the world worship his works.
Yes, well, need I say more? Besides a few useful idiots, he's a laughing stock.
- Kim Jong Il is similarly renowned.
- The "arduous march" (mass starvation 1995-1998) was due to the US imperialists and some bad weather.
It was due to the diversion of economic effort to the military as Kim Jong Il sought to avoid a military coup after his father's death, and the storms that destroyed crops broke the back of the state farming sector.
- The United States and Japan are constantly seeking ways to invade and occupy north Korea
The US and Japan are deterring a north Korean attack and have no interest in any occupation. However, the regime does maintain a constant "we're on the brink of war" footing. Read Orwell's 1984 to understand that.
- All of the Korean people love Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il and just wish reunification of the country
Most Koreans despise them, and few south Koreans want reunification on north Korean terms. Many fear the cost of rebuilding a broken country, but many also are deeply distressed by the division of families
- Korean reunification would happen if only the US withdrew its bases from south Korea
It might, because north Korea would feel more free to invade
SO that is a start. I wonder how many of these myths Gareth has swallowed?